Exam sessions are conducted by volunteers working under the direction of the FCC and WCARS. The exam fee is set by the VEC and is $10.
Not licensed? Find out why you should get licensed.
What to Bring to a WCARS Exam Session:
- A legal photo ID (driver’s license, passport) or, if no photo ID is available, two forms of identification:
a. non-photo ID/driver’s license (some states still have them)
b. birth certificate (must have the appropriate seal)
c. social security card
d. library card
e. utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence that
specifically names the person; or a postmarked envelope addressed
to the person at his or her current mailing address as it appears on
the Form 605.
- Students/minors may bring any of the above items and/or a school ID, minor’s work permit, report card, or a legal guardian may present a photo ID.
- FCC-issued Federal Registration Number (FRN). For instructions on how to register with the FCC and receive a FRN, visit the FCC’s FAQ page and the FCC’s registration instructions page.
- If applicable, bring either a photocopy of your current Amateur Radio license or a reference copy printed out from the FCC website, the license information printed from ARRL website or QRZ website, or the original(s) and photocopy(s) of any Certificates of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) you may hold from previous exam sessions. If your license has already been issued by FCC, the CSCE showing license credit is not needed. The photocopy(s) will not be returned. Instructions on how to obtain an official FCC license copy are on the Obtain License Copy web page.
- Two number two pencils with erasers and a pen.
- A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared is allowed. You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session. Slide rules and logarithmic tables are acceptable, as long as they’re free of notes and formulas. Cell phone must be silenced or turned off during the exam session and the phones’ calculator function may not be used. In addition, iPhones, iPads, Androids, smartphones, Blackberry devices and all similar electronic devices with a calculator capability, may NOT be used.
- Bring a check, a money order or cash to cover the exam session fee(s).
For more information on the next testing session, and/or to register for the next testing session, please contact us here.